Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Saying Goodbye

I wrote this after one of our last visits with my father-in-law, who passed away November 25, 2012.

Visiting Pop 11/10/12

electronic beep
cold silence
of hospital hall
we sit
one on each side
of him
frail

lucid
(thank God)
honest
alone
but not alone

“Jesus is with you”
falls awkwardly out
…words…
hoping comfort sticks
“all the time”
his reply

“are you afraid?”
silence
“no… no, I’m not afraid. I know
where I’m going…”

stories
chuckles
electronic beeps
warm room

across the bed
son
intently watching
old wounds no longer sting
tears fill but do not flood,
tenderly
“what are you thankful for, Dad?”
and
“what do you want me to tell the boys?”
and
“you fought a long time. It’s ok to
stop fighting…”
He lets him go.
Son lets father go.

softly
“Are you worried, Dad?”
immediate
“What do I
have to worry about?
With Jesus’
hand in my hand
I‘ve got nothing to worry about.”
And he always wondered what it would be like
and now
he’s here.

hands clasp
a kiss good-bye
I look back
his eyes fix on son--
eyes ask for more--
but he lets him go.
Father lets son go.

cold silence
of hospital hall
rapid pace
together
choking back
tears
must fall.



1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your loss... these are touching words that bring tears to my eyes. I'm excited to meet this soul in heaven someday.

    ReplyDelete